Robert Milani, Senior Landscape Architect, Bertog Landscape Co.
Bertog Landscape Co.
Bringing Visions to Lifetime
What are some issues we can be performing now to make certain our useful trees and shrubs enter wintertime in the very best wellness probable?
Mid- to late-slide and early wintertime are when trees and shrubs are actively developing their roots – so there are critical issues that property owners can do to guarantee a nutritious financial investment. First, just for the reason that temperatures may possibly be cooling does not signify you should prevent watering. Tree roots proceed to will need that vital moisture as they put together for winter. Water ideal up till the to start with challenging freeze.
- Mulch shade, ornamental and fruit trees with shredded hardwood mulch and use the mineral gypsum to tree roots that are in near proximity to salt spray from snow removal.
- Utilize an anti-desiccant to sensitive evergreens and just lately installed evergreen trees and shrubs like arborvitae, boxwood, willow or holly.
- Prune, take away and dispose of lifeless and dying branches from non-flowering trees and shrubs thanks to insect problems or ailment.
- Apply a 16-16-16 all-reason, sluggish-release granular fertilizer to tree roots prior to the initially snow.
- Implement lawn compost and mineral gypsum close to tree roots now to make improvements to soil fertility and drainage.
- Wrap newly planted and delicate trees with 4-inch tree burlap for wintertime defense. This aids continue to keep them safe from deer and rodent hurt and stops barks from cracking in frost temperatures.
Advise a Correction